Saturday, May 23, 2009

Remembering Who is in Control

I'm in my hospital room by myself a lot, and, being the thinker that I am, my mind just goes and goes. It is hard to shut it down, and this sometimes (okay, I'll admit, many times) this leads to worry and anxiety. Most of the time, I'm feeling okay about things, but then my mind gets going...and I worry...and I get anxious...

And as I sit here and worry over things, I know the best thing to do is to place my concerns in God's hands because I'm not in control and worrying does me no good at all. The day before I found out I had to come to the hospital, our sermon was about God being in control--good timing, right?! One key point was on how, if we will truly let God be in control, it can really reduce our anxiety and stress. I know this but sometimes, when things are going well, I don't think about it as much. And when things start to seem "out of control" in my mind, I know that I have to re-focus and trust God to take care of things.


It has been so evident since I arrived at the hospital that many people are praying for our situation and for God to take care of things. There was so much improvement (and so quickly) with the problem that caused me to be admitted in the first place, and there is not a doubt in our minds that God listened to the prayers and intervened. It just shows how big and powerful God is! So I’m going to ask, if you don’t mind, that if you’re praying for us, please pray for some of the things I’m anxious about…

1. That the cord blood would continue to flow in the right direction to baby H and that the resistance would stay low and even improve
2. That baby H would really grow in the next few weeks--his arms, legs, head, torso, etc.--I mean really grow where there is no way to explain the improvement except that God intervened
3. That baby H will have a safe delivery
4. That my blood pressure would stay low enough and that I would not develop toxemia so that I can stay off of medicine that would keep me from seeing baby H for a few days after he is born
5. That baby H's time in the NICU would be minimal
6. That Michael and S would continue to do well without me at home
7. That God would be in control of my mind and thoughts as I'm here at the hospital, especially when I'm alone
8. That we will keep our focus on trusting God in the midst of this little "storm" in our lives.

As I finished typing this post, God brought this verse to my mind. “Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.” (1 Peter 5:7) I just have to keep focusing on this! Thank you for praying with and for us.


11 comments:

  1. Have just prayed for these specific things, Carrie, and will continue to keep you all in prayer. So glad another week has safely passed -- praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie ... I'm praying for you and the family! I haven't been keeping up with my blog or everyone else's blog as I've started back to school to become an RN. I'm going to attach a prayer request on my blog for you & the family! Love the pictures and when you are at the hospital blog and email! Hang in there! Also I'm on facebook look me up! It might be a way to pass the time! love and prayers - Amanda Jo Rhoades

    ReplyDelete
  3. carrie, i will be praying for you and michael during the next weeks. i know that it is hard not to be tempted to worry. I am so thankful that God's Word is living and active and that the Holy Spirit is bringing scripture to your mind to casue you to rest in Christ. Thank you for the updates. It is much easier for us to pray for you when we are able to read about your days! :) trusting the Lord that these are the days that He has planned for you. love, danielle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrie- I have and will continue to pray for you. You are on my mind so much. You continue to be such an inspiration to me. Thank you for giving us details to pray for and for keeping us updated. I check it daily. Love you! Erica M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Carrie !! I am sooo right there with you in the worry/anxiety department.Being alone in a hospital room is the worst place for this I know.BUT,remind yourself that God created your brain and made it full of thoughts and loves your inquisitiveness..So, try to focus on the good ways God works through your worry and anxiety :)
    Praying for you and hoping for the time to pass quickly !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carrie,
    I am just now catching up on your blog, and I wanted to tell you how much I will be thinking of you and praying for you and for your family. As a fellow worrier/borderline control freak :), I understand how your mind can race about all the unknowns. Scripture is one of the only ways that I can quiet my wandering mind, and I know God will bring you comfort through His Word. Your strength in the Lord and His faithfulness will bring you through this time in your life. Thanks for sharing what we can specifically pray about, and I wanted to share two verses that I like to meditate on when I feel anxious.
    John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
    Romans 8:6b..but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace...
    We will continue to lift you, Baby H, Michael and S in our prayers.
    Love to you,
    Melanie Butler

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carrie,
    Thank you for being so honest in this blog. I love the request for the baby to grow..really grow...so all credit goes to the Lord. God tells us in Matt 7:7 that we are to, "Ask and it will be given, Seek and you will find, Knock and the door will be opened." That really is how you are praying and that is awesome Carrie because God wants to know our hearts and He wants to answer them specifically! I will be praying for you in the morning for #7..that really is a good on and it is usually in our quiet times the evil one can work on us. I love you girl! Stay strong and be well! Hope the "diet" is doing ok and let me know if I can sneek you anything??

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just prayed your specific requests and will continue to do so. Each day that goes by is another blessing to you and your baby and family. We'll pray for many more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our prayers are with all of you, and for the requests you made. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You remain in my thoughts and prayers. I'm so sorry that you are feeling anxious and worried. I know it must be hard just sitting and waiting at the hospital. I will pray that God continues to give you strength, peace, and encouragment as you remain on bed rest. We will also pray for baby H and all the other items you asked us to specifically pray on your behalf.

    Thinking of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Carrie! I know exactly what you mean - when I'm alone with my own thoughts I can drive myself nuts! I will definitely be praying for you, Michael, S and baby H! Make sure you have some good books on hand and read your fears away (I'm not talking about baby books - I mean good, senseless books!!) I will be thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete